Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Literary Magazine Review and Link to Writing

     To my surprise I found many literary magazines online. I say "surprise", because I had never known of magazines online. What usually comes to mind when I hear the word "magazine" is fashion, articles about famous people, and other mainstream elements.These specific literary magazines however, where more about fine pieces of literature, poetry, and art. Now that is what I am talking about. A particular literary magazine that tickled my fancy was Flashquake. Flashquake is independent and focuses on fine art and flash literature. "Flash" in this case is defined as short formatted, brief pieces of literature, usually 500 to 1500 words. The magazine itself is layed out in such a way that the pages can be turned at will, and each page holds something unique and creative. There are many poems, about anything, no specific topic which is nice to try out different flavors that haven't been tried before. The artwork in the magazine also has a wide variety ranging from black and white photography to color paintings, and the artwork is mostly submitted online, and submission is open to the public.

As I read the "about" section, which explains the magazine creation and purpose, I came across the Flashquake theory, "words are meant to make an impact, to leave a trace, to enlighten and to inspire...."

Below is a link to a piece of flash literature that I  personally liked.
http://www.flashquake.org/?page_id=172
then click expand, and the piece I like is on page 17
Its called Writers Block by Kellie Doherty
Read It

No comments:

Post a Comment